Spaghetti Squash Home Run
I consider it a home run when the kids asked for seconds and its squash! It tastes even better the next day when the flavours have time to set.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey (optional, omit for vegetarian)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 796 mL can crushed tomatoes
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- ½ c sliced or chopped fresh button mushrooms
- 1 can black beans
- 1 540 mL can black beans
- 1 c shredded marble cheese (use vegan cheese for vegan version)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F (200 dgs C).
- Pierce spaghetti squash skin several times all over with a knife. Place it in the microwave for 5 minutes on high. Remove from microwave, careful it’s hot. Allow time to cool. With a sharp knife, cut it in half and scrape out and discard the seeds.
- Brush the insides of the spaghetti squash with olive oil. Place cut side down in baking tray. Bake 30 – 40 minutes until squash is easily pierced with a fork through the skin.
- While squash is baking, over medium heat, in a large sauce pan scramble fry ground turkey and onion until cooked through and onions are translucent. Add a bit of olive oil to keep turkey from sticking to the pan.
- Add the Italian seasoning and garlic powder to the turkey. Mix well.
- When fragrant, add the can of crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, black beans and mix well.
- Add the spinach and mix in well.
- When spaghetti squash is cooked through, remove from the oven, flip over and scrape the flesh with a fork to loosen the “spaghetti” strands. Be careful to not pierce through or damage the skin.
- Spoon the turkey tomato sauce mixture over the two halves of squash over the spaghetti squash.
- Spread the shredded cheese on top. Return to the oven for 15 or 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Scoop out a serving and enjoy!