Being diabetic, I’ve learned that my body doesn’t process potatoes and it’s best that I avoid them entirely. I’ve been trying different veggies as a replacement, mostly yams, but of course they taste completely different.
I don’t particularly like cauliflower, but keep trying it again and again because it’s white in colour and relatively mild tasting, and I’ve been convinced that I can make it work, even though I don’t care for the flavour.
I must say, I nailed it with this recipe. A perfect replacement for potatoes. The nutritional yeast adds a wonderful ‘cheezy’ flavour, and paired with the garlic, most of the natural cauliflower flavour is masked, which was my goal. (Even the kids finish their plate!)
'Cheezy' Mashed Cauliflower
Suitable for whole-food plant-based diets and a healthy alternative to mashed potatoes.
Ingredients~ One head fresh cauliflower or 3 cups frozen
~ 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
~ 1 tsp garlic powder or one clove minced
~ Himalayan pink salt and ground fresh pepper to taste
~ 3/4 c sweetlet peas, frozen
- Cut up the cauliflower into smaller chunks. Add it to a dutch oven and just cover it with water. Boil until cooked through and cauliflower is very soft. About 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Return the cauliflower to the pot and mash it with a masher. If it is still very wet, return to medium heat, stir often and watch carefully to just cook off the water.
- Cook peas. I just throw them in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- Add nutritional yeast to the cauliflower along with garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in well.
- Add peas and stir to mix well.
- Serve and enjoy. Makes a great side dish.