Mexican Jacket Sweet Potato
The flavours blend together so well, this was a huge hit!
- 4 medium yams (orange flesh) (sometimes called sweet potatoes, although sweet potatoes are different…)
- 3/4 c shredded cheese or dairy-free cheese
- 3 c corn, frozen
- 1 pkg El Paso Original Taco Seasoning
- 1 398 mL can of black beans, drained
- 3 cups loose fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil, butter or margarine
- 1 c Tostitos salsa (mild, medium, hot – your choice)
- 1/2 yellow, orange, or red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 med yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c fresh or frozen mango, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
DirectionsPre-heat oven to 400 F. With a fork, poke holes in the yam skin in a few places. Place yams on baking sheet and bake for 1 hour.
Let the yams bake for 30-40 mins before prepping the rest below. Check on yams at about 45-50 mins. Cut in half lengthwise and put back in oven until cooked through and nice and soft.
- In a skillet, fry corn in a bit of olive oil. Once cooked through, add package of El Paso Taco Seasoning with 1/4 c of water. Adjust water amount if more is needed. Set aside. Keep warm. (Tip: I place mine in a Pyrex bowl in the microwave. I don’t run the microwave, I just find that the smaller space helps keep the food warm.)
- In the same skillet, add black beans garlic and oil. Scramble fry. Add spinach and a couple of tablespoons of water, cover to create steam to wilt the spinach. Mix together. Set aside. Keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add chopped peppers and onion, bit of olive oil, scramble fry. Add mango. Heat through. Add salsa and mix together. Heat through. Set aside. Keep warm.
Layer the Jacket Sweet Potato
- Place baked sweet potato on a plate
- Add grated cheese/dairy-free cheese
- Add corn mixture
- Add black bean and spinach mixture
- Add salsa mixture
- Top with sliced avocado
- Sprinkle sliced celery for some nice crunch
- (A dollop of dairy-free/sour cream would probably go nicely also, however, I didn’t have any on hand.)
The flavours of the all the layers blended so well together with the sweet potato, I will definitely be making this one again!